Families and friends
Please don’t feel you have to cope alone. Community for Recovery is here to support anyone whose life is affected by volatile substance abuse (‘VSA’, the misuse of gases, aerosols and solvents), whether they are misusing the products themselves, or affected by the behaviour of a family member or friend who is misusing.
- You can find answers to all the most frequently asked questions about volatile substance abuse in our The Facts section.
- You can telephone our helpline on 01785 810762 Monday-Friday 9.30am – 5pm (excluding bank holidays).
- You can also live chat with us, email a question to us, send us a text or WhatsApp on 07496 959930.
- We can offer you support through telephone or online counselling.
- We have also contributed to the FRANK publication: Gases, glues and aerosols: is your child at risk? What every parent needs to know which is available as a pdf here.
Other sources of help
ADFAM is a national charity offering information and support for the families of drug and alcohol users:
Talk to Frank is the government-funded drugs help and advice line:
www.talktofrank.com, helpline 0800 776600
Rethink run a siblings network for those who have a brother or sister affected by mental illness:
TESS is a text and email support service for girls and young women who self-injure:
The Fire Service provide free home safety advice (bearing in mind volatile substances are flammable):
Trading Standards are the people to contact if you’re concerned that a local retailer is supplying misusable products illegally: www.tradingstandards.gov.uk